This post is sponsored by Reese Specialty Foods, all opinions and content shared are my own.
I define it as the time in LA where we definitely don’t want to turn on our ovens but really do want to host some amazing dinner parties or backyard barbecues. My biggest struggle during this time of year is mastering the art of the best party bites without having to go through 20 steps and lots of heat. Is it such a crime to dream up something delicious without the need for heat?
I’ve been on a kick lately with artichoke hearts and hearts of palm ever since Lily Diamond of Kale & Caramel held her book launch party at Rolling Greens. She had these delicious crostini with artichoke hearts on them, which inspired me to make my own. Hearts of palm and artichoke hearts are extremely underrated, not to mention DELICIOUS.
Hearts of palm and artichokes tend to be forgotten about, but I think it’s time we changed that, right? A key fact to remember is: the best part is the heart! Meaty, versatile and are rich in potassium. Hearts of palm are vegan friendly and are often used a “scallop” or “fish.” Grill or fry them up and use them in tacos or as a “meat” component in salads. My go-to brand at the moment is Reese—they actually create packaging for their hearts of palm & artichokes that you can now reseal!
To keep things really easy, I created two heatless recipes that serve as the perfect upscale hor d’oeuvres, party munchies or just hot day snack using artichoke hearts & hearts of palm! I’m ready to get my summer soiree’s in SWING!
The best thing about utilizing both of these recipes in one evening is they pair perfectly together AND share ingredients. Winning!
HEARTS OF PALM + WHIPPED FETA & RICOTTA DIP with SEA SALT TOMATOES
- 4 ounces feta cheese, drained
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 1 can (14 ounces) Reese Hearts of Palm, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped, plus more for serving
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, for serving
- Crostini, for serving
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 pint baby heirloom tomatoes
1. Puree feta, ricotta, hearts of palm, a pinch of sea salt, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 tablespoon water in a food processor or blender until smooth. It should take around 3 minutes or so. Sprinkle in your dill and quickly pulse to combine everything together.
2. Transfer to your favorite serving bowl, cover, and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. It will keep well for about up to a day—this is FRESH dip we’re talking about!
3. While the dip is cooling, wash your baby heirloom tomatoes and pat dry. Cut in halves and toss with the remaining olive oil. Give a heavy pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste, throw this in the fridge as well.
4. Once everything has cooled and flavors have meddled, time to serve! Add the tomatoes to the top of the dip, sprinkle with cayenne and more dill then serve, with crostini for dippin’!
PESTO + ARTICHOKE HEART RICOTTA CROSTINI
- 8 oz. fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 can or jar of marinated Reese Artichoke Hearts
- 1 container of your favorite pesto (or your own scratch recipe!)
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Arrange your crostini flat on a serving plate
2. Spread a layer of ricotta on each piece of crostini
3. Add a piece of artichoke heart on top of each ricotta-slathered crostini
4. Using a spoon, drizzle pesto across each piece
5. Top with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and serve!
What do you think!? I bet you that hearts of palm are about to become your new favorite this summer. NO HEAT REQUIRED! I am telling you they are gold! If you want to see more recipes, other bloggers are getting together to publish other creative recipes that you can find on their e-newsletter—Sign up here on their website!
We would also love to hear about any hearts of palm or artichoke heart recipes you may have! Tag @ReeseSpecialtyFoods on Social Media, links are below, and use the hashtag #HeartToHeartKitchen to share!
Happy Eating! Xo, S